Jharra, meaning “sweep” in Sanskrit, is a healing technique in which the practitioner silently repeats mantras while sweeping peacock feathers over a person’s body. This sweeping clears out dis-harmony and allows the natural harmony and balance to be restored.
Jharra relieves stress and reduces anxiety, allowing natural harmony to preside. It was a prominent form of healing practiced in Vedic times (5-10,000 BC) prior to the use of herbs and medicines.
Dis-ease or dis-comfort are considered to be dis-harmonies. People who can perceive auras can locate dis-harmony in the body by observing the auric field. Sometimes a physical problem sits in the auric field for weeks, months, or years before it manifests into a dis-ease in the physical body. The sweeping, combined with mantras, restores harmony and balance, thereby eliminating dis-ease and dis-comfort.
Below you will find more information on:
- Basics of a Jharra session
- The Mantras
- Why peacock feathers are used
- How Jharra came to the US and its lineage
- Why Jharra is a high-quality healing technique
- Why Susan is a high-quality healing practitioner
- The frequency with which a person can safely receive Jharra
- What types of situations Jharra can be used for
- What people have said about a Jharra session with Susan
- Cost of a session, where to find Jharra locally, and contact information
Basics of a Jharra session
- In person:
The recipient sits in a chair or lies down–whatever is most comfortable or accessible.
The Jharra practitioner holds the peacock feathers in the right hand, and sweeps them from the top of the recipient’s head to the bottom of their feet. Once past the feet, the feathers are tapped onto the ground, releasing what was swept through the energy field into the earth to disperse the accumulated energy. Sometimes, following the session, the recipient is given vibhuti (sacred ash) from a Fire Ceremony.
A full session lasts 45-60 minutes, including time for discussion and processing. Extra time may be spent on any “problem” areas.
To prepare for a session:
- Wear loose comfortable clothing of natural fiber.
- Be prepared to remove your shoes.
- Quiet the mind, and open to receive.
- A light cloth or sheet will be available, for those who are tickled by the feathers.
Jharra can also be given and received remotely. In this case, the recipient sits quietly to receive the energy, while the practitioner sweeps a representative symbol of the recipient (for example a photo or drawing of the recipient), or connects with the recipient via a video-call (like Skype).
As with in-person, the session lasts 45-60 minutes; if there is no discussion or mental processing, the session is shortened accordingly. The recipient may choose to receive the session just before falling asleep, so the energy may continue through the subconscious state.
The Jharra mantras invoke aspects of the Divine Father and the Divine Mother. They invoke healing and protection, harmony and peace, nurturing and support, fulfillment and sustenance.
The mantras have been transferred to the practitioner’s auric field, by a Jharra Master, who was trained at the Haidakhan Ashram. The practitioner has repeated the mantra thousands of times to “charge” the mantra in their consciousness.
Repetition is a way of building up the “chi” or universal life energy within oneself so the mantra-energy will pass through the feathers in a pure and unencumbered way. With this entire technique, it is not that the tools– the feathers or mala– are charged up; it is the practitioner’s own consciousness that is charged up with the energy of the sacred healing mantra. The charged-up healing mantras go from the energy field of the practitioner, through the feathers, into the auric field of the recipient. It is this consciousness that is applied to the energy body of the recipient, going to the source of the distress, removing dis-harmony and restoring harmony, thus restoring health.
Why are peacock feathers used?
- Peacock feathers hold all the colors of the rainbow/chakras (a symbol of balance and harmony), plus the ‘eye’ in the feather represents the third eye, or intuition.
- Batuk, who is the young form of Kalbhairav, is often pictured carrying a bundle of peacock feathers. Kalbhairav is an aspect of Shiva which represents healing and protection; the feathers connect the practitioner and the recipient to this healing, protective energy.
What is the lineage of Jharra?
Haidakhan Babaji, best known today as Lahiri Mahasaya’s guru in Paramahansa Yogananda’s Autobiography of a Yogi, re-invigorated the practice of Jharra in the 1980’s as a healing gift to the world.
Marge DeVivo is the Jharra master best-known in the United States. Marge spent time with Babaji at his Ashram in Haidakhan. In 1986, during Navratri at the Ashram, Shastriji (Shri Vishnu Dutt Shastri), who was Babaji’s priest, suggested that Marge learn Jharra. She was then initiated into Jharra by Swamiji. She received another Jharra initiation directly from Shastriji in 1993, at his home. The second initiation was specifically for healing headaches; there is a specific mantra and technique. At that time, one of the women in Shastriji’s village was coming to Shastriji daily for Jharra treatment. Before she arrived that day, Shastriji told Marge to perform the procedure, and handed her the peacock feathers. As she gave the treatment that day, Shastriji told her “You are healer.”
- Susan was initiated into Jharra by Marge in October, 2015. Within just six weeks, Susan had charged up the mantras and began giving Jharra to people and animals. Within a year, Susan had counted over 500,000 of each of the mantras.
Why choose Jharra?
- The mantras that are used by the practitioner while sweeping are ancient mantras, thousands of years old. The use of these mantras, over time, by thousands upon thousands of people bring forward a powerful momentum of combined healing consciousness, which is harnessed–and continued–with each individual sweep.
- The energy the mantras invoke are solely of the Divine Father and Divine Mother. As Archangel Rafael reminds us: “it is only God who heals”.
- Because the energy of the mantras is only of the Divine Father and Mother, there is little “room” for the practitioner to impose personal distortions or interpretation.
- Jharra provides healing energy for the mental, emotional, physical and spiritual bodies, in all time-frames and dimensions both known and unknown at all levels of consciousness. It may be utilized for any dis-harmony (disease, distress, anxiety, mental disturbances, spiritual crises, existential crises, doubt, lack of confidence, loss of faith, grief, fear of loss, “darkness”, etc.)
Why choose Susan:
Susan has been an active, conscious healer for over 30 years beginning with her initiation into Usui Reiki in 1988.
In 1995, Susan trained with Leonard Orr for over a year, learning and doing daily spiritual practices taught by Haidakhan Babaji. The purpose of the practices, which include earth, air, water, fire, mind, service, and community, is to cleanse and purify the practitioner to align the life of the physical body with the life of Divine Spirit. The practices release the lower, ego mind; they release karma; they release distortions and obstructions, and they expand the consciousness for greater capacity to hold and offer Divine energy.
Her consistent spiritual cleansing practice for over two decades has cleared–and continues to clear– a channel for pure healing energies to come through during healing sessions.
Susan has actively served people, animals, and the earth through Jharra healing sessions both in person and remotely since December 2015, and to-date has given over 300 remote sessions and dozens of in-person sessions.
How frequently can a person safely receive Jharra?
Since Jharra provides access to Divine healing energy, it may be received safely at any time. Divine Source will only allow the highest benefit, the highest healing, that a person may safely receive at any time.
What types of situations can Jharra be used for?
Since Jharra provides healing energy for the mental, emotional, physical and spiritual energetic bodies, in all time-frames and dimensions both known and unknown, and at all levels of consciousness, it may be utilized for any dis-harmony (disease, distress, anxiety, mental disturbances, spiritual crises, existential crises, doubt, lack of confidence, loss of faith, grief, fear of loss, “darkness”, etc.). For example, Jharra may be used to assist in particular situations such as:
- transitions (moves, change of jobs)
- loss of a loved one
- addictions or interventions
- financial uncertainty
It may be utilized in chronic or on-going situations such as:
- chronic pain
- chronic illness
- mood disorders
- eating disorders
Since Jharra provides Divine energy, it raises the vibrational field of people who receive it. Thus, Jharra is very good for opening up the path of light, as well as for protecting people who do healing and energy work. It inherently disperses and dispels energy, releasing accumulated energy “baggage”. In this way, it benefits:
- physical therapists
- doctors, nurses, etc–anyone who works in a hospital or around illness
- long-term care, home-health, and hospice aides
- intuitives, empaths, and psychics
- spiritual aspirants
- clergy and spiritual leaders
Since Jharra provides Divine energy, it is also very useful for advancing people in their own personal journey. Globally, we are at a time when “healing” must happen in the broadest sense: political, social, economic, and ecologic systems must be “enlightened”; local and international relationships must be healed; all people must find and live the highest ideals possible. In this way, Jharra benefits:
- artists and creatives
- mothers and fathers
- entrepreneurs and business people
- life scientists (biology, botany, zoology, etc)
- physical scientists (physics, chemistry, earth, etc)
- doctors, physical therapists and nurses
- politicians and leaders
What people have said about a Jharra session with Susan
“It’s so relaxing!” (In person) ~ Bina, in NJ
“My body-sensations during the whole thing were VERY relaxing, and different from normal relaxation. There were places where I had “kinks”, and they just unkinked…I felt my whole body surrounded by…a gentle enfolding.” (remote) ~Brad, in HI
“It made me high.” (In person) ~Leonard, in VA
“I felt tingling in the top left side of my head, and could feel my pulse and a warmth in my palms. My body felt a bit heavy; at the end, I had a moment of timelessness, seeing and experiencing “this” in another time/place, like remembering a dream.” (remote) ~Annakje, in MO
“It was very comforting.” (In person) ~Elvi, in VA
Cost of a session
- The cost of one session, in person, is 108.00 USD; the cost of 3 sessions in person, as a package, is 216.00 USD
- The cost of one session, remotely or via video, is 54.00 USD; the cost of three sessions remotely, as a package, is 150.00 USD
- Group sessions are available at 40.00 USD per person, minimum of 3 and maximum of five people; each person receives a Jharra session, then there is sharing and discussion at the end. If you have a group of people who would like to do this, or if you would like to host a group session, please contact me, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find me locally, in Michigan, for discounts
- For people who reside in SE Michigan, I make myself available for drop-in sessions at Evenstar’s Chalice at a reduced rate:
- Introductory session: 10 minutes, $10.00
- Mini Session: 15-20 minutes, $25.00
- Full Session: Up to one hour, $45.00
Please check Evenstar’s online schedule for my drop-in times, or contact me to make an appointment, email@example.com.
Sessions are offered for free to hospice patients, cancer patients, and people with terminal illness.
Text, call, or email: 908-256-2521 – firstname.lastname@example.org
All monies collected from these endeavors are earmarked to support the creation of a new/improved space to hold Haidakhan Fire Ceremonies, which are open to all.
Updated for 2019